Creating a Custom Environment
The first time you import your account into Hava you'll notice that it uses either your VPC's (AWS) or Virtual Networks (Azure) to separate the different resources into individual environments. While this can give a good overview of your account it's not always the view you want.
Using search you can:
- Display everything with a certain tag across all regions and accounts.
- Display two peered VPCs on one diagram.
- Display everything in a region and see what the total cost is.
Search allows you create environment diagrams tailored to your requirements. By specifying a combination of attributes you can determine how your environment is drawn. Custom environments are linked to your imports too - as you add or remove resources in your account, Hava updates your custom environment.
If your search matches a resource we'll also do our best to draw anything important to give it context. If you search for an instance it will draw the containing subnet and VPC, as well as any related security groups. If you search for a load balancer it will draw the connected instances. This means that whatever you find in your search it will still draw a clear network diagram.
Using the Search Bar
The custom search input is at the top left of the screen. You'll need to use one (or more) of the following search modifiers:
- Find everything within an AWS region or Azure location
- Find an AWS VPC and everything it contains
- Find an Azure Virtual Network and everything it contains
- Find an Azure or AWS subnet, everything it contains, as well as it's parent VPC or Virtual Network
- Add everything in the specified source
- Find an Azure Resource Group and everything it contains
- Find everything that matches this IP address, or any CIDR ranges that contain it.
- Any other value followed by a colon is considered a tag name. Anything with that tag name and value will be added to the environment, as well as it's parent containers. If the tag value has spaces you will need to surround it by quotes.
Combing Search Terms
By default Hava will combine modifiers of the same type into OR comparisons and different modifier groups will use AND. For instance:
Find everything in the VPC 'vpc-1234' or 'vpc-5678' - great for displaying peered VPCs on the same diagram!
This will find a VPC with the ID 'vpc-1234' and a region of 'us-west-1'.
vpc:vpc-1234 vpc:vpc-5678 environment:test environment:green
This will find any resources with a tag called environment that has either the value 'test' or 'green', and it will only show them if they're in the VPC 'vpc-1234' or 'vpc-5678'.
Creating an Environment
Start by typing a search into the bar. Once you've entered the terms you want just click 'Search' - the first option in the list. A few tips:
- You can view other diagrams to find ID's even if you've already clicked search. Hava remembers your ongoing search - so go back to environments, click on something in a diagram, copy it's ID, and carry on!
- The search bar works great with your keyboard - arrow keys, enter, and tab are a quick way to search quickly.
- Displaying every resource in a region or source can take a while if you have a lot, but it will get there.
Once you are happy with what you see click the save button, enter a name for your new environment, and submit. You will be redirected to your new environment and it will also show in the environments list. As you import more resources from your account, Hava will run your custom search again and update the environment to match.
Deleting an Environment
If you decide in future that you no longer need any of the custom environments you created previously it's a simple matter to delete them.
From the environment list find the environment and click the 'trash' icon next to it's name. Confirm that you'd like to delete this environment and that's it!